Health Update #3: Planning Ahead

Today is Friday.

Sunset on Emerson Lake

I met with my chemo oncologist in a telehealth session at the Wheatlake Cancer Center in Reed City. It was a beautiful day for a drive in northern Michigan, and I tapered off my narcos Norco for the day to make it safely, 40 minutes each way. It would have been the perfect day for the motorcycle if my right arm would cooperate. The left side with the port has pretty much healed and is no longer sore. But although I can bend my right arm at the elbow, I can't raise it at all and can't carry anything heavier than my phone. It's pretty limited in terms of mobility because of the pain. I find it pretty hard to eat and drink left handed.

My vitals are all still good, and Dr. Hansen continues to be optimistic. Apparently, there's a lot of paperwork going on behind the scenes to get pre-approval from the insurance company for the medications involved which are newer and stronger. They still intend to use carboplatin and paclitaxel for the chemo, but are particularly optimistic about atezolizumab plus bevacizumab for immunotherapy because its combination with radiation therapy gives it an extra boost. 

Corrine flies back from Chicago tomorrow and I'll meet her at the Manistee airport if all goes well. We have brunch planned with her brother Dan on Sunday at Stix in Ludington. 


Next week I'll meet with my PCP to get worked up for insulin. The chemo/immunotherapy combination has a high sugar content and my glucose levels are already high, so they want to work on keeping my counts reasonable. They've been in the upper 100s, even with all of my meds for diabetes maxed out (Glimepiride, Januvia, Jardiance). My last A1C was 8.4, which is the highest it's been in years. So, looks like I'll start on insulin injections and constant monitoring to get through the treatments.  

Now that everything is lined up, they want to move fast: radiation simulation next week; 5 consecutive days of radiation the week of the 17th, and first round of chemo/immunotherapy the week of the 24th. Hope to be done with first line treatment by end of April, consolidation in May, and begin immunotherapy maintenance by August. 

The news has been pretty hard for everyone, and I think that the hardest part of this is to watch those that I love and who love me grieve over the diagnosis. But at the same time, everyone has been very supportive and positive and hopeful for a cure. While the statistics for Stage 4 NSCLC are quite grim, my doctors tell me that my age and vitality and the localization of the tumors and responsiveness to immunotherapy all have a major positive impact on my prognosis. 

And I have my own little piece of paradise to convalesce in while I'm going through treatment. 




Easter Update:





Comments

Sarah said…
Many things to give us hope. Much love to you and Corrine. slh
Sarah said…
I hope the simulation is going well this week. You can turn the pinpoint tattoos into cool art after you're done with radiation therapy. After rad and chemo therapies are done, occupational therapy can help to strengthen your arm again so you and Corrine can ride the bike. You'll be a survivor. All will be well in time. Positive thoughts/vibes and all that for you and Corrine. Peace and love. slh

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary: I’m not dead yet

Health Update #35: Brass Tacks

Hospice Care