Health Update #17: Good News

Homemade Pierogi by Corrine

July 16, 2023

Yesterday was day 11 after chemo session 3. On schedule the same as the first two sessions, the side effects from the Neulasta Onpro patch kicked in full force. Fortunately, I knew to be prepared to spend the day in bed under sedation.  I'm feeling better today and have stopped taking the Oxy. One more week until the final chemo session.

Last week, I had a CT scan to check on the progress of the treatment, and the results were promising. The tumor has shrunk by a full centimeter and shows evidence of cavitation, which means that it's dying. All my lymph nodes are clear and there's no evidence of metastasis in my liver or kidneys or any other organs. The oncologist got in touch the next day to say that he is very happy with the results. I'll have a PET scan after the next/final round to make sure, but it looks like the treatments are working as hoped.

I feel like oncologists, in general, are optimistic about treatment, if for no other reason than to keep their patients' spirits up, so I've been a little guarded about accepting their prognosis as genuine. But it does look like things are moving that way. It's been more than 6 months since the initial abnormal chest x-ray, so I'm growing more comfortable in sharing their optimism. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary: I’m not dead yet

Health Update #35: Brass Tacks

Hospice Care